Saturday, May 24, 2014

Day 7


I can't believe it's been a whole week! Time sure flies when you're cooking and doing lots of dishes. :)
Breakfast was egg sandwich sliders with a sweet potato bun, baked prosciutto "bacon" and a fried egg. And half a grapefruit. I made my cousins waffles and chocolate milk and didn't have any myself, so I obviously must love them a whole lot. ;) 
 
 

Lunch was an open basket double "Frack" burger (no cheese, no sauce, no bun). We added our own prosciutto bacon crumbles and avocado.  It was eaten with a fork salad style and it was a nice change from your traditional bunless lettuce wrapped burger.  Instead of a milkshake we chose a strawberry fruit leather.
Burger on it's own
Burger made better with homemade fixins
 

After hiking all afternoon, we snacked on carrots and green peppers (and a few pistachios and coconut flakes) until we hit dinner at Nancy's for lettuce wrapped grilled chicken.  To go with our protein we picked up a small (that we split) Berry UpBEET only fruits and veggies smoothie at Jamba Juice.
 
 
 My thoughts on the day... and on other things like bacon:
We didn't know for sure that we would be going with family to hike Silver Falls today until we woke up this morning, so our meal plan for the day was totally screwed.  We thought we could make the best decisions possible knowing they were going to be eating at burger joints for lunch and dinner, and I think we did a pretty great job! Smoothies are not advised on Whole30 as they contain a lot of sugar and it is not as satisfying to drink your meal.  After hiking a pretty intense uphill battle, all I wanted was a smoothie! We figured a grilled chicken breast and a smoothie packed with veggies was a good compromise, especially as the smoothie wasn't the entire meal.  The Berry UpBEET smoothie is made up of Strawberries, Blueberries, Mixed Berry Juice Blend, Red Vegetable Juice Blend (Carrots, Beets, Broccoli, Spinach, Kale, Lettuce), Mangos, Ice.  It was so stinking good and so refreshing after such an intense workout!  I've never loved beets, broccoli, spinach, kale, and lettuce so much!  We're not perfect at this, but we're trying to do the best with the situation of the day and make the best possible choices we could while having little control over the matter.
Getting a good hike in today was really nice and felt great.  While our family was having big ole burgers with fries, onion rings, and milkshakes it at first seemed a little sad to be left out of those foods we've loved so much.  But as soon as we got moving on that hiking trail, I knew I was SO glad that I did not eat all that junk.  I felt energized and happy and it was a great afternoon! I will definitely be sore tomorrow.  We have not done a workout since starting Whole30 and I know it's something that will be good to add in to our routine but for now I am just trying to get in making three full healthy meals a day and get the dishes done after! Maybe by our next round of Whole30 we will be able to get exercise in too. :)
The boil water ban is over in Portland now and I'm so happy about it!!!  You never realize how important something is until you can't have it.  I love water!
I've seen so many questions and comments in the Whole30 forums about bacon and I really don't understand what the big deal about it is.  The prosciutto is just pork and salt and it fries up just like bacon and tastes just like bacon and can be used just like bacon.  Maybe bacon is a big paleo thing that I don't quite understand, but even without prosciutto bacon you'd think that giving bacon up for a month just like sugar, dairy, or anything else wouldn't be such a big deal.  Weirdos.
I also don't understand how some people will do the Whole30 program by themselves and cook different food for their families.  Say WHAT?  Seems like a whole lotta wasted work when making Whole30 food is delicious and easily can fit a family's palette.
We've done our shopping for the week and I'm so excited to try out these new recipes!  Eating out made me miss a good home-cooked meal and I appreciate them even more now!

No comments:

Post a Comment